Ductwork problems can lead to higher heating and cooling bills, inconsistent temperatures, and poor air quality. As much as 30 percent of the air in ducts can be lost due to leaks and other problems. Considering how hot it gets in the San Antonio area, it is important to quickly correct any problem that could affect cooling.
Common Ductwork Problems
When a ductwork is not designed properly or is damaged:
- Air pressure will no longer be balanced and some areas in your home will be warmer.
- It will be difficult to adequately cool all rooms in the house.
- Your indoor air can become easily polluted.
Duct problems can lead to energy waste as your air conditioner works harder to cool your home. Increased energy bills are usually a good indicator.
Proper Duct Design
You might not realize that the challenges with your indoor comfort are being caused by your ductwork. Your HVAC technician will likely discover problems during routine maintenance or during a service call.
Damaged ducts can be repaired. However, depending on the extent of the damage, your ducts may need to be replaced. Your technician will use the Air Conditioning Contractors of America Manual D guidelines to ensure ducts are properly designed and installed. Important considerations include:
- Design Type. For example, radial, branch or perimeter loop system. The design selected should be based on the size and design of your home, and your HVAC system.
- Duct Insulation. Insulating ducts so the air being distributed won’t be affected by air in the unconditioned spaces. Your HVAC technician will identify the areas that could benefit from insulation and the best type of insulation.
- How ducts are sealed. All duct joints should be secured with sheet metal screws and mastic paste and/or metal foil tape.
- Ductwork integrity. Your contractor should also test the integrity of the ductwork with a duct blower or similar tools that will effectively identify leaks or other design deficiencies.
AC State Air has more than 50 years of experience in HVAC services. Our technicians are trained and knowledgeable in various aspects of duct repair and replacement. Contact us today at 210-653-5900 for more information or to have your ductwork inspected.